If you suspect your pet has gotten into any of these things, do not wait for your pet to look or act sick. Call us immediately or one of the animal poison control centers.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 1-888-426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline: 1-800-213-6680
Top 10 Toxins in the Kitchen 1. Chocolate 2. Grapes, Raisins, Currants 3. Xylitol / Sugar free gum or mints 4. Fatty table scraps and bones, especially pork 5. Onions & Garlic 6. Compost / Garbage 7. Human medications, including Tylenol and Advil 8. Macadamia nuts 9. Household cleaners 10. Unbaked bread dough / Alcohol
Common Outdoor Pet Toxins 1. Slug / Snail bait 2. Anti-freeze 3. Rat / Mouse / Gopher baits & poisons 4. Yard and kitchen compost, including coffee grounds 5. Grapes 6. Lillies 7. Cocoa Mulch ( also fish meal, bone meal) 8. Fertilizer
Other Common Toxins in and Around the House
Marijuana Paint and varnishes Canine flea products used on cats Mushrooms in the yard Amphetamines (such as ADD / ADHD medications)
These are not complete lists. If your pet ingests something you are not certain they can have, PLEASE call us or one of the numbers listed above immediately.
Some signs that your pet may have ingested something toxic:
Nausea / vomiting Excessive drooling Diarrhea Lethargic / difficult to rouse Cannot walk straight, or falls down (ataxic) Twitching Seizures Cannot seem to focus on you Difficulty breathing / gums turning blue or purple
Again, this is not a complete list, if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, do not hesitate to bring them in or call us. The old adage "it's better to be safe than sorry" is so very true!