If you suspect your pet has gotten into any of these things, do not wait for your pet to look or act sick. Call us immediately or one of the animal poison control centers.  There is a fee to open a case with the poison control centers, but they have extremely large toxin databases that allow veterinarians to know what signs to expect at the specific dose of the toxin ingested.  This greatly helps the veterinary staff treat many of the less common toxins.

*ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435 (preferred resource)

Pet Poison Helpline: (800) 213-6680

Top 10 Toxins in the Kitchen

  • Chocolate
  • Grapes, Raisins, Currants
  • Xylitol / Sugar free gum or mints
  • Fatty table scraps and bones, especially pork
  • Onions & Garlic
  • Compost / Garbage
  • Human medications, including Tylenol and Advil
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Household cleaners
  • Unbaked bread dough / Alcohol

Common Outdoor Pet Toxins

  • Slug / Snail bait
  • Anti-freeze
  • Rat / Mouse / Gopher baits & poisons
  • Yard and kitchen compost, including coffee grounds
  • Grapes
  • Lilies
  • Cocoa Mulch ( also fish meal, bone meal)
  • Fertilizer

Other Common Toxins in and Around the House

  • Marijuana
  • Paint and varnishes
  • Canine flea products used on cats
  • Mushrooms in the yard
  • Amphetamines (such as ADD / ADHD medications)

These are not complete lists. If your pet ingests something you are not certain they can have, PLEASE call us or one of the numbers listed above immediately.

Some signs that your pet may have ingested something toxic:

  • Nausea / vomiting
  • Excessive drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargic / difficult to rouse
  • Cannot walk straight, or falls down (ataxic)
  • Twitching
  • Seizures
  • Cannot seem to focus on you
  • Difficulty breathing / gums turning blue or purple

Again, this is not a complete list, if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, do not hesitate to bring them in or call us. The old adage “it’s better to be safe than sorry” is very true!